A heavy brass pipe with screw-on cap fittings on either end, used as a document cylinder for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police boat St. Roch. Important messages were left in weather proof cylinders by arctic expeditions. Stamped on the cylinder is the following inscription: “Larsen, H.S. SI SCT. CPT/C.C./G.B. Dickens./1944/R.C.M.P. St. Roch. Aug 29th 1944”. In 1940–1942 the St. Roch (italisize) became the first vessel to complete a voyage through the Northwest Passage in a west to east direction, and in 1944 became the first to make a return trip in a single season.
A pair of child’s scraped seal skin boots, brown and off-white in colour. The high white soles are pleated around heel and toe, and have white skin straps which tie around ankles and across feet. Wide decorative bands of white skin with a double row of stitching, plus a zigzag piece of brown skin, trim the top of the boots. Collected by C.W. West, Superintendent of the RCMP c. 1907-1912 in the Athabasca and Mackenzie River areas.
An old fashioned pilot-style hat made of white-tanned caribou hide with beaded decoration and white flannel lining. This hat was made in Aklavik in 1937. The style was inspired by the aviators, the Lindbergs, and was called the ‘Lindy hat’. In July 1931, Charles and Anne Lindberg left New York to follow an Arctic route to the far east. They stopped in Aklavik for four days before continuing westward to Alaska and eventually the Kamchatka Peninsula.
This upright piano was shipped to the RCMP detachment on Herschel Island by Inspector Vernon Kemp when his family moved there in 1927. In the 1930s, the piano was moved to the Anglican Mission at Shingle Point and then to All Saints Anglican Residential School in Aklavik. From 1959 to 1975, it was used at Stringer Hall, a student hostel in Inuvik.