A dagger-like knife with an iron blade and bone shaft. The blade is attached with a copper rivet. The nearby 1854 wreck of Robert McClure’s ship ‘Investigator’ would have been a good source of sheet copper and other metal for people frequenting Banks Island. The item was collected by geologist Don Yont in 1961 on Mercy Bay, Banks Island.
A pair of adult-sized boots made of deep blue-dyed seal skin, with commerical hide soles. Sewn by machine and by hand. Crow boot style, with stiff, high ankles open at the front, and trimmed with dark brown beaver fur.
A small seal skin boot with the fur on the inside. It is made from two pieces of skin sewn together with seal skin line and sinew. This boot is one of the oldest examples of footwear from the Canadian arctic. It was collected by archaeologists on Banks Island in the 1970s.
A seal oil lamp, or qulliq, made of green-grey stone. The lamp belonged to hunter and trapper Natkusiak, also known as Billy Banksland. After accompanying adventurer Vilhjalmur Stefansson on the Canadian Arctic Expedition from 1914 to 1917, Natkusiak received the schooner North Star in lieu of wages owing. He and his family used the schooner as a base for trapping on Banks Island.
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre (PWNHC) will be closed to the public until further notice as a precautionary measure to limit the potential spread of COVID-19 in the Northwest Territories.
À compter du lundi 16 mars 2020, le Centre du patrimoine septentrional Prince-de-Galles (CPSPG) sera fermé au public jusqu’à nouvel ordre. Il s’agit là d’une mesure de précaution pour limiter la propagation possible de la COVID-19 aux Territoires du Nord-Ouest (TNO).