A ceramic bottle in the shape of a polar bear. This limited edition bottle contained scotch whisky bottled by the Government of the Northwest Territories, possibly for a Commissioner’s Ball event in the early 1970s. The ball, hosted by the Commissioner of the NWT, was the formal dinner and party that kicked off the first Legislative Assembly meetings of the year.
A Model T truck, one of the first vehicles to enter the Northwest Territories in the 1920s. It was owned initially by Dr. Clermont Bourget, the Indian Agent and medical doctor stationed at Fort Resolution from 1923 to 1933. The truck was then used by trader George Pinsky who operated a general store in Fort Resolution for many years. When Pinsky donated the truck to the museum in 1963 it was still in working condition.
A large tin can, roughly cut down to an appropriate height to serve as a dog bowl. It was used at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment at Fort Reliance on Great Slave Lake which was in operation from 1927 to 1965. The bowl belonged to Jumbo who worked with members at the Fort Reliance detachment.
A wooden paddle used by Bill Farley during the 1970 NWT Centennial commemorative ‘Alexander Mackenzie Canoe Race’. The race was down the Mackenzie River from Fort Providence to Inuvik, a distance of 1760 kilometers. Teams from ten NWT communities participated. Farley was a member of the Yellowknife team. After the race’s finish in Inuvik he got a list of all race participants and wrote their names on the blade.