An old fashioned pilot-style hat made of white-tanned caribou hide with beaded decoration and white flannel lining. This hat was made in Aklavik in 1937. The style was inspired by the aviators, the Lindbergs, and was called the ‘Lindy hat’. In July 1931, Charles and Anne Lindberg left New York to follow an Arctic route to the far east. They stopped in Aklavik for four days before continuing westward to Alaska and eventually the Kamchatka Peninsula.
|Location||Aklavik, Mackenzie Delta|