A pilot’s escape map of northern Canada printed on rayon fabric. Maps like this were carried by Allied forces airmen in World War II and into the Cold War period. The maps could be worn around the neck like a scarf, or folded into a pocket-sized package. This map shows the western arctic on one side and the eastern arctic on the other.
A handmade wooden sled found at John Hornby’s cabin in the Thelon Game Sanctuary. In 1927, Hornby and his two companions, Edgar Christian and Harold Adlard, died of starvation in the small cabin on the Thelon River.
This upright piano was shipped to the RCMP detachment on Herschel Island by Inspector Vernon Kemp when his family moved there in 1927. In the 1930s, the piano was moved to the Anglican Mission at Shingle Point and then to All Saints Anglican Residential School in Aklavik. From 1959 to 1975, it was used at Stringer Hall, a student hostel in Inuvik.
A handmade wooden rocking chair with netted babiche back and seat. Parts of the frame are branches which have been minimally shaped. It came from Saint Peter’s Anglican Mission, which was built in 1893 in the original Hay River village on the east bank of the main channel of the Hay River.
This Remington Standard 12 typewriter was probably used by William (Billy) Joss at the Hudson’s Bay Company post at Bernard Harbour in the 1920s. He may have used it at other posts, including Ulukhaktok where he was also stationed.