A 1957 Land Rover vehicle, owned by land surveyor and mining engineer John Anderson-Thomson. Among his many accomplishments, Anderson-Thomson was responsible for surveying an all-weather road linking Hay River with Yellowknife. This Land Rover was the first private vehicle to drive up this road when it was still under construction in the spring of 1959. The stretch of road was a mere right-of-way clearing through the winter bush. John Anderson-Thomson and his wife Janet completed the trip from Fort Providence to Yellowknife in five days under strenous conditions and with considerable damage to the vehicle.
A 1961 Bombardier snowmobile owned and used in Deline by Father Rene Fumoleau, an Oblate priest who came to the Northwest Territories in 1953. This was the first snowmobile in the Great Bear Lake area. Father Fumoleau made several modifications to the snow machine in order to keep comfortable and warm on his trips to bush camps in the winter months. He says the snowmobile did not go very fast (10-15 miles per hour) but it was reliable, and never let him down.
A de Havilland Fox Moth airplane. The Fox Moth was known as the light workhorse of the skies. It was employed in northern Canada during the 1940s doing a variety of jobs including hauling freight and mail, general transportation, medical evacuation, surveying, and mapping. This aircraft was reconstructed from parts of three wrecked planes that crashed in the Northwest Territories. The reconstruction was completed in 1984, and modeled after Registration CF-BNI which was owned by Jim McAvoy and crashed at Porridge Lake north of Yellowknife in 1946.
A heavy brass pipe with screw-on cap fittings on either end, used as a document cylinder for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police boat St. Roch. Important messages were left in weather proof cylinders by arctic expeditions. Stamped on the cylinder is the following inscription: “Larsen, H.S. SI SCT. CPT/C.C./G.B. Dickens./1944/R.C.M.P. St. Roch. Aug 29th 1944”. In 1940–1942 the St. Roch (italisize) became the first vessel to complete a voyage through the Northwest Passage in a west to east direction, and in 1944 became the first to make a return trip in a single season.
A feed grinder used by John Goodall on his farm at Fort Simpson. Goodall was born in England and came to Canada in 1911, homesteading in the Athabasca district before World War I. He came north to Fort Simpson in 1927 with a small family, farming with livestock and agriculture, and stayed 44 years until his death in 1971 at the age of 80. At Fort Simpson, the soil was rich and plentiful and under Goodall’s watchful eye potatoes and many other vegetables flourished. He supplied fresh produce to the missions and settlements along the Mackenzie River. From 1954 to 1967, Goodall was a member of the NWT Council.