A ceramic bottle in the shape of a polar bear. This limited edition bottle contained scotch whisky bottled by the Government of the Northwest Territories, possibly for a Commissioner’s Ball event in the early 1970s. The ball, hosted by the Commissioner of the NWT, was the formal dinner and party that kicked off the first Legislative Assembly meetings of the year.
A Model T truck, one of the first vehicles to enter the Northwest Territories in the 1920s. It was owned initially by Dr. Clermont Bourget, the Indian Agent and medical doctor stationed at Fort Resolution from 1923 to 1933. The truck was then used by trader George Pinsky who operated a general store in Fort Resolution for many years. When Pinsky donated the truck to the museum in 1963 it was still in working condition.
A wooden paddle used by Bill Farley during the 1970 NWT Centennial commemorative ‘Alexander Mackenzie Canoe Race’. The race was down the Mackenzie River from Fort Providence to Inuvik, a distance of 1760 kilometers. Teams from ten NWT communities participated. Farley was a member of the Yellowknife team. After the race’s finish in Inuvik he got a list of all race participants and wrote their names on the blade.
A flat cut-out fabric doll in the image of a Canadian Women’s Army Corp member, with uniform and shoulder bag. It was probably a do-it-yourself craft product. Crafters embroidered along designated lines already marked into the fabric and then had artistic liberty to colour in hair, buttons, clothing seams, and facial features however they wanted to. Owned and possibly embroidered by Catherine ‘Goldie’ Lovell while a member of the C.W.A.C. during World War II.
A chart rolling device, containing a scrollable navigation map of the Mackenzie River, used on the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Tembah. The Tembah was in operation from 1972 to 2010. During the summer of 1989, the ship patrolled the Mackenzie River from Mile 778 to the River Delta.