A shirt sewn by Cece Hodgson-McCauley while living in Deline. The shirt is made from a nylon parachute acquired by McCauley from a person who salvaged it from ‘Operation Muskox’, a Canadian military exercise that passed through the Great Bear Lake area in the winter of 1946. During Operation Muskox, supplies were dropped by parachute along the route of the expedition, and local people collected the parachutes for re-use.
A ‘Victor Orthophonic Victrola’ record player in a floor cabinet console. The player handle was cranked by hand to play a record. Owner Henry Lafferty was a long-time employee and interpreter for the Hudson’s Bay Company and Northern Traders in Behchoko (Fort Rae). He worked for the HBC for 45 years and had access to items sold at stores or available through catalogues. It came with vinyl records that include tuns by Benson All Star Orchestra, Hal Kemp and his Orchestra, and Joe Green’s Novelty Marimba Band.
A large tin can, roughly cut down to an appropriate height to serve as a dog bowl. It was used at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment at Fort Reliance on Great Slave Lake which was in operation from 1927 to 1965. The bowl belonged to Jumbo who worked with members at the Fort Reliance detachment.
This standing iron is a dog harness decoration composed of a padded wire shaft with a wool pompom on top. It would have been attached upright to the harness right behind the dog’s head. Dog mushers often dressed up their teams for special occasions especially over the Christmas and Easter holidays.
A man’s hat made of velvet decorated with pearl seed beads and tassels. This flat-topped, straight-sided style was popular in the 1880s and is often called a smoking cap. The maker recalled that her grandfather Charles P. Gaudet wore a hat like this.