Small transits like this were carried into the field to make precision observations and sightings. This E.R. Watts & Sons unit was used by John Anderson-Thomson, an engineer and Dominion land surveyor in the NWT for 38 years (1944-1982).
Edison Amberola 30 phonographs play wax cylinders and have internal horns or speakers. The horn on this machine has been removed and the box is missing a wooden front grille. The Blue Amberol cylinder on the playing cylinder is #5024 The Rocky Road to Dublin - Reel (Violin) A.SISSON / Thomas A. Edison Patd. This phonograph was used in Detah homes into the 1940s.
The bag is made of loon skin with a cotton lining. The handle is woven porcupine quills backed to caribou hide. The bag was originally owned by George Pinsky, a store owner and fur trader in Fort Resolution. In 1962, Mr. Pinsky described the bag as have being 'made many years ago'.