A foot-powered, hand-feed platen letter press. It was brought to Yellowknife by News of the North publishers for printing posters and small stationary jobs. In 1967 it was acquired by Robert Jenkins, industrial arts teacher at the Yellowknife Public School, so students could learn the basics of graphic arts. Jenkins formed Canarctic Publishing in 1972.
Small transits like this were carried into the field to make precision observations and sightings. This E.R. Watts & Sons unit was used by John Anderson-Thomson, an engineer and Dominion land surveyor in the NWT for 38 years (1944-1982).
A brass telegraph from the M.V. Radium Gilbert. A ship's telegraph is used for communication between the bridge of the ship and the engine room. Operated by the Northern Transportation Company Ltd. from 1946 to 1980, the Radium Gilbert transported supplies and cargo to communities on Great Bear Lake and uranium from Eldorado Mine.